Sunday 20 March 2016

Clicklist #15


From the Blogosphere 
Chocolate. Peanut. Butter. Tart.

Rose went swimming with pigs. Really. Totally bizarre and brilliant at the same time.

More great-sounding food: pull-apart pizza muffins; churros; raspberry brulee rice pudding

I really liked Ria's post on her favourite female film directors, which has given me the wonderful excuse of adding a bunch of films to my 'to watch' list.

Jane's posts on her trip to Egypt all have brilliant photography in them (as always), start here.

Michelle's tips on travelling alone are great; I'm fine with doing so many things solo but for some reason being a tourist alone has always scared me. Maybe that should change.

Maya from The Financial Diet on 21 things you can do to be a better Significant Other (or person in general) that don't cost a thing.

Vix in outraged brilliance on 5 things society tells women they shouldn't do.

Josie (who I just find completely amazing) giving a really honest insight into the impact of organ transplants on cystic fibrosis (and people who have them in general).

Lauren from TFD on what she learned from being the girl who cried at work (lots of interesting stuff about emotional intelligence which I found super interesting).

Katy really knocking it out of the park in this piece about friendship break-ups

Around the Internet
"I'm not interested in the inevitable beef over "who is the real feminist". I'm not interested in making sure all celebrity women embrace the label or live their beliefs in a specific way. I love that it's cool for celebs to speak up in defence of women. And I agree...that certain stars like Taylor Swift are brand ambassadors who provide soft introductions to feminism, not the movement itself. But at what point is the mainstream feminist conversation sophisticated enough that we start expecting more from people who embrace the label? And what does 'more' look like?"
So You're a Feminist Celebrity, Now What?

"At first I was really trying to say I'm not like Hermione. I'm into fashion and I'm cooler than she is, and then I came to a place of acceptance." 
Emma Watson and bell hooks in conversation

"While the ship looped from San Pedro to Cabo San Lucas and back, some 100 of its passengers and I would be focused on uncharted waters, where nothing is as it seems. Before we dock again, two of them would end up following me around the ship, convinced I was a CIA plant."
A conspiracy theorist cruise, seriously.

"Women are sexually liberated, we're astronauts, CEOs, politicians. So shouldn't we be over the the idea that only men should make the first move? In our day-to-day lives, we're outspoken, ambitious, won't-stand-for-that women, yet throw a Tinder match on the cards and things begin to blur. Stereotypes coyly masked as traditions mean my friends & I regularly shrivel into dating-handbook-bots: we refuse to text twice in a row (lest we worry for days about being unfairly labelled needy); we won't call first during the first six months, we definitely won't text first. We accept (despite how much it might jar with, you know, our right to make decisions about our own lives) that it is normal for women to wait four years for the one day they're 'allowed' to propose." 
Why is dating still so sexist?

"They're being politically correct the way they take them out...protesters, they realise there's no consequences to protesting anymore. There used to be consequences...Our country needs to toughen up. These people are bringing us down."
The leading candidate for the Republican nomination for President complaining about how protesting is entirely legal. Literally nothing about him is funny any more.











No comments:

Post a Comment